Parsnip and apple combined results in is a warm mix of flavours. Used for soup or sweet treats these ingredients signal the arrival of autumn and celebrate the seasons harvest. Both parsnips and apples are easy to store, so this recipe for spiced parsnip and apple muffins can be enjoyed from October to early spring and make for a healthy snack on the go.
You may also like
- Angelica jam recipe: the perfect herb for jam
- Parsnip soup recipe with medlar jam
- Chutney recipe: aubergine
Spiced parsnip and apple muffins
- 225g self-raising flour (I use wholemeal)
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 150g butter, melted and allowed to cool
- 2 apples, grated (I leave the peel on)
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and grated
- 125g sultanas
- 75g walnuts, chopped
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp mixed spice
Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4
- Line a muffin tin with paper cases or grease it if you are not using cases.
- In a large bowl, mix together the spices, sugar and flour.
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter, eggs, parsnip and apple. Add the walnuts and sultanas, stirring carefully.
- Pour this into the bowl of dry ingredients, fold together until everything is just mixed – be careful not to over-stir the mixture.
- Share between the 12 muffin cases and bake for 12 minutes or so.