Food tastes better outside, especially made with freshly-picked home-grown produce. Campfire recipes, whether cooked in the garden or on the allotment are recipes to share and this recipe is a perfect example.
My friend Dhundi Raj Bhusal knocked up this tasty blackened aubergine relish while we were having a barbecue at the allotment using whatever late summer vegetables (apart from the lemon) we could pick at the time. Green tomatoes, fresh chilli and aubergine are the stars here. Use this chutney to accompany any curry or mop up a bowl of it with naan bread.
- 1 medium-sized aubergine
- handful of green tomatoes
- some chopped fresh chilli (¼–½ tsp)
- 1 clove garlic
- a small bunch of coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- a good squeeze of lemon juice
- Put the aubergine and the green tomatoes on the barbecue or open fire and char them until they are black outside and squidgy inside. Cut along the middle and scoop out the contents of both aubergines and tomatoes and mash.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix and eat.
It doesn't get simpler than that.
Black Friday offer- Save over 50% when you subscribe
Special subscription offer:
- Save 51%- £34.99 every 13 issues by Direct Debit
- The perfect Christmas gift for friends, family or to keep for yourself!
- Never miss an issue of your favourite magazine
- Free UK delivery- direct to your door *Available to UK residents only