There has never been a better time to work from home. Flexible working hours and the growth in new small businesses means that there is an increasing workforce ready to do just that and what nicer place than from a garden office or studio. Below are some tips on how to build your garden office, but don't forget to talk to your builder or planning council before starting anything.
From shed to office
Light & safety
Make a connection
KEY POINTS TO TAKE AWAY
- Make comparisons between the various garden office companies, unless you intend to design and build yourself. The product ranges alone vary tremendously between traditional and contemporary, functional and decorative. Have a clear idea about what you want as the choice will be extensive.
- Costs for a garden office vary between £500 and £2,000+ per square metre (ex VAT). In general, this is cheaper than building an extension. Towards the higher end of the market, however, this distinction begins to blur. Bear in mind the money you will save on commuting, possible office rental and so on.
- Consider site access when discussing and developing your ideas. Many urban gardens, for example, have restricted or no access other than through the house. This is mostly impractical so materials and panels will have to be craned in, or, if possible, taken through the house. This can add substantially to your costs.
- Contact your local planning office to find out what is permitted and what will require specific planning permission before embarking on the project. It will offer you plenty of useful advice that could, in the long run, save you money and heartache.
- Garden buildings over 30 square metres in size must conform to building regulations, so make appropriate applications through your architect, or to the local planning office.
Modern, modular offices for the garden.
Offers small units to larger shared spaces.
Small offices for small spaces.
Eco-friendly range of offices and garden buildings.
Modern garden buildings or bespoke structures.
Innovative designs in natural wood and glass.
Special Christmas offer- Save over 50% when you subscribe
Special subscription offer:
- Save 51%- £34.99 every 13 issues by Direct Debit
- The perfect Christmas gift for friends, family or to keep for yourself!
- Never miss an issue of your favourite magazine
- Free UK delivery- direct to your door *Available to UK residents only