The RHS People's Choice Award has been announced, with the public voting for their favourite new clematis.
Thousands of visitors to the trial fields at the RHS Garden Harlow Carr were asked to cast their votes across 28 of the latest varieties of clematis.
Clematis Kingfisher ('Evipo037) was the overall winner with its indigo flowers and creamy yellow anthers. Second was Clematis 'Maria Skłodowska-Curie' and third place was taken by Clematis Zara = 'Evipo062'. See below for a gallery of the winners.
The full five winners were:
- Clematis KINGFISHER = ‘Evipo037’
- Clematis 'Maria Skłodowska-Curie'
- Clematis Zara = 'Evipo062'
- Clematis BERNADINE = 'Evipo061'
- Clematis CÉZANNE = 'Evipo023'
Sabatino Urzo, Trials Manager at the Royal Horticultural Society, said: "Clematis have always been a favourite climber, and with gardens increasingly getting smaller and many front gardens being paved over, they provide an attractive solution for gardeners who want to green up their spaces and add a splash of colour without taking up too much room."
The People's Choice Award offers the chance for the public to vote on how they feel about the latest floral breeding and provides feedback to nurseries. It is part of the annual trials programme run by the RHS.
Showing item 1 of 5
Claim your Niwaki Bundle worth £70 when you subscribe
Special subscription offer:
- Claim your Niwaki bundle worth £70
- Save 20%- £57.20 every 13 issues by Direct Debit
- Never miss an issue of your favourite magazine
- Free UK delivery- direct to your door *Available to UK residents paying by Direct Debit.