Make your own origami seed envelope
Follow our fold-by-fold guide to making your own origami seed envelope. Then save and collect your own seeds from this year's favourites, or swap with a gardening friend and be ready to sow next spring.
If you have favourite plants you like to grow every year it makes sense to harvest your own seeds to sow. These pretty seed envelopes are fun to make and make thrifty use of old issues of Gardens Illustrated. Simply follow our fold-by-fold guide below to create your own origami seed packets.
Here's a little video to inspire you.
Step-by-step-guide to making your own seed envelope
- Begin with a square piece of paper. Fold it diagonally into a triangle and position so the longest side is facing you.
- Fold the bottom right corner up to meet the centre of the opposite side so there is a straight edge along the top.
- Repeat with the bottom left corner, again meeting the opposite side. Both corners should line up across the top edge.
- Tuck the first of the two triangles at the top into the triangular pocket created by making the previous fold in step 3.
- You will see that you now have an envelope that you can fill with seeds. Once filled, close by tucking the remaining top triangle into the same fold as in step 4.
Tip: Use pages from old copies of Gardens Illustrated and each time you fill a new packet, you will be reminded of your favourite features.
Claim your Niwaki Bundle worth £70 when you subscribe
Special subscription offer:
- Claim your Niwaki bundle worth £70
- Save 20%- £57.20 every 13 issues by Direct Debit
- Never miss an issue of your favourite magazine
- Free UK delivery- direct to your door *Available to UK residents paying by Direct Debit.