Make your own origami seed envelope
Follow our fold-by-fold guide to making your own origami seed envelope. Then save and collect your own seeds from this year's favourites, or swap with a gardening friend and be ready to sow next spring.
If you have favourite plants you like to grow every year it makes sense to harvest your own seeds to sow. These pretty seed envelopes are fun to make and make thrifty use of old issues of Gardens Illustrated. Simply follow our fold-by-fold guide below to create your own origami seed packets.
Here's a little video to inspire you.
Step-by-step-guide to making your own seed envelope
- Begin with a square piece of paper. Fold it diagonally into a triangle and position so the longest side is facing you.
- Fold the bottom right corner up to meet the centre of the opposite side so there is a straight edge along the top.
- Repeat with the bottom left corner, again meeting the opposite side. Both corners should line up across the top edge.
- Tuck the first of the two triangles at the top into the triangular pocket created by making the previous fold in step 3.
- You will see that you now have an envelope that you can fill with seeds. Once filled, close by tucking the remaining top triangle into the same fold as in step 4.
Tip: Use pages from old copies of Gardens Illustrated and each time you fill a new packet, you will be reminded of your favourite features.
FIX YOUR PRICE FOR THE YEAR- HALF PRICE SALE!
Special offer to celebrate RHS Chelsea Flower Show! Get a whole year of Gardens Illustrated magazine for just £30 and FIX YOUR PRICE!- saving over 50%. Subscribe today and enjoy beautiful places, top planting ideas and expert advice for your garden. *Offer ends 1st July 2022. This offer is only available to UK residents paying by Direct Debit
Container Gardening Special Edition
The Gardens Illustrated Guide to Container Gardening. In this special edition, discover colourful flower combinations and seasonal planting schemes for pots designed by leading plantspeople, and essential know-how for container gardening success. Just £9.99 inc UK p&p
Gardens of the Globe
Discover some of the most glorious gardens from around the world.Find out more