This side dish is a great accompaniment to lamb. As a child of New Zealand, I feel it is my patriotic duty to eat as much lamb as possible. Just as well I love it so much. If you’re not quite such a lamb fanatic, this is also wonderful with roast chicken or chicken thighs baked in the oven with a few handfuls of herbs. I really enjoy cooking with pea shoots. Not only do they look pretty, they are also very intensely flavoured. I find them a little greener and less sweet than the peas.
- fresh or frozen peas 450g
- Extra virgin olive oil 1tbsp
- Spring onions 3, cut into 5mm slices
- unsalted butter 40g
- tender pea shoots (or small watercress sprigs, or a mix of both) 250g
- mint leaves (a small bunch) 20g, coarsely chopped if large
- Salt and pepper