If you want to make natural handmade Christmas decorations from your garden that are quick and easy, but high impact, this straightforward step-by-step Christmas star make is simple and looks great. All you need is a few twigs and some evergreens collected from outdoors, some ribbon and glue, and you can have unique, homemade but beautiful natural decorations for your home this festive season.
Materials you need to make Christmas stars
- 3 x 20cm lichen-covered twigs
- 6 butcher's broom sprigs (Ruscus aculeatus) or other evergreen sprigs
- 30cm length of 3mm ribbon
- glue stick
- glue gun
To make the Christmas stars
- To make the stars, place three lichen-covered twigs across each other to form a star.
- Tie together at the centre with wire, leaving a long end for a loop to hand the stars up with.
- Add a spot of hot glue to the centre, and stick six sprays of butcher's broom leaves to radiate out between the twigs.
- Bind the centre with thin ribbon.
Summer sale! 3 issues for £5
Try 3 issues of Gardens Illustrated today for just £5. Subscribe today and enjoy beautiful places, top planting ideas and expert advice for your garden. *Offer ends 1st July 2022. This offer is only available to UK residents paying by Direct Debit
Container Gardening Special Edition
The Gardens Illustrated Guide to Container Gardening. In this special edition, discover colourful flower combinations and seasonal planting schemes for pots designed by leading plantspeople, and essential know-how for container gardening success. Just £9.99 inc UK p&p
Gardens of the Globe
Discover some of the most glorious gardens from around the world.Find out more