Provençal courgette tian recipe
August is a plentiful time in the kitchen garden and the allotment. In this recipe, gardener cook Jojo Tulloh defies the summer heat with a quick, simple recipe that makes the most of an abundance of courgettes
A tian is a Provençal dish made of egg and vegetables that is ideal for summer picnics. It takes its name from the shallow terracotta dish it is traditionally cooked in. I use a cast iron skillet instead. The basic mix of vegetables is greens, herbs and potato; use what is cropping. You can add flavour with olives, capers, anchovies, a thickish tomato sauce and switch courgettes for spinach or chard, for instance. My recipe is inspired by Elizabeth David’s.
- 250g courgettes
- 250g potatoes (steamed, peeled and cut into cubes)
- 1 heaped tbsp each of parmesan and gruyère cheese
- 1tbsp finely chopped parsley and a few sorrel leaves, salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic
- 5-6 eggs
- 4tbsp of olive oil
- Put the cubed potatoes with a little chopped garlic, seasoning and 2tbsp of olive oil in the ovenproof dish and warm through in a low oven (150°C).
- Grate the courgettes and fry them gently in 2tbsp oil, crush over some salt, cover the pan and cook for five minutes.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs until frothy, add sorrel, herbs, cheese, salt and pepper, a little grated nutmeg and the courgettes, then stir in the potatoes and tip the whole lot into a well-buttered skillet or gratin dish.
- Transfer immediately to the oven (otherwise the egg rises up) and bake for 25 minutes at 190°C.
- Cut into wedges when cool.
FIX YOUR PRICE FOR THE YEAR- HALF PRICE SALE!
Special offer to celebrate RHS Chelsea Flower Show! Get a whole year of Gardens Illustrated magazine for just £30 and FIX YOUR PRICE!- saving over 50%. Subscribe today and enjoy beautiful places, top planting ideas and expert advice for your garden. *Offer ends 1st July 2022. This offer is only available to UK residents paying by Direct Debit
Container Gardening Special Edition
The Gardens Illustrated Guide to Container Gardening. In this special edition, discover colourful flower combinations and seasonal planting schemes for pots designed by leading plantspeople, and essential know-how for container gardening success. Just £9.99 inc UK p&p
Gardens of the Globe
Discover some of the most glorious gardens from around the world.Find out more