Savoury sweetcorn pudding recipe
Savoury sweetcorn pudding may sound odd, but eaten alongside a dish of grilled peppers or roasted tomatoes, it makes a great vegetarian main course. Jojo Tulloh shares her recipe.
Summer’s passing can feel sad, but take heart: the September kitchen is an uplifting place, filled with the reds, yellows and oranges of tomatoes, chillies, corn, peppers, raspberries and sunflowers.
I love making corn bread with fresh whole corn kernels, but they are equally good in the baked ricotta dish below. Savoury pudding may sound odd, but eaten alongside a dish of grilled peppers or roasted tomatoes, it makes a great vegetarian main course.
Savoury sweetcorn pudding
- 3 ears of corn
- 100ml of milk
- 3 eggs
- 250g ricotta
- 50g grated cheddar
- 1tbsp chervil, finely chopped (or dill and parsley mixed)
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- good pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 1tbsp parmesan, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Tip the ricotta into a sieve to drain while you shave the kernels from the corn with a large knife.
- Reserve about 100g of the corn kernels and blend the rest in a food processor with the milk, for 2 minutes, to get a smooth batter.
- Beat the eggs and mix with the herbs, reserved corn kernels, corn milk batter, ricotta, grated cheddar and seasoning.
- Butter a litre pudding basin and scatter over the breadcrumbs to cover, tipping the bowl so they coat the sides well (keep 1tbsp of breadcrumbs for the top). Pour in the batter, and top with parmesan and the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Stand the bowl in a roasting dish filled with kettle-hot water and bake for roughly an hour then check by pressing the top lightly to see if it’s firm; if it’s not set cook a little longer.
FIX YOUR PRICE FOR THE YEAR- HALF PRICE SALE!
Special offer to celebrate RHS Chelsea Flower Show! Get a whole year of Gardens Illustrated magazine for just £30 and FIX YOUR PRICE!- saving over 50%. Subscribe today and enjoy beautiful places, top planting ideas and expert advice for your garden. *Offer ends 1st July 2022. This offer is only available to UK residents paying by Direct Debit
Container Gardening Special Edition
The Gardens Illustrated Guide to Container Gardening. In this special edition, discover colourful flower combinations and seasonal planting schemes for pots designed by leading plantspeople, and essential know-how for container gardening success. Just £9.99 inc UK p&p
Gardens of the Globe
Discover some of the most glorious gardens from around the world.Find out more