Savoury sweetcorn pudding recipe
Savoury sweetcorn pudding may sound odd, but eaten alongside a dish of grilled peppers or roasted tomatoes, it makes a great vegetarian main course. Jojo Tulloh shares her recipe.
Summer’s passing can feel sad, but take heart: the September kitchen is an uplifting place, filled with the reds, yellows and oranges of tomatoes, chillies, corn, peppers, raspberries and sunflowers.
I love making corn bread with fresh whole corn kernels, but they are equally good in the baked ricotta dish below. Savoury pudding may sound odd, but eaten alongside a dish of grilled peppers or roasted tomatoes, it makes a great vegetarian main course.
Savoury sweetcorn pudding
- 3 ears of corn
- 100ml of milk
- 3 eggs
- 250g ricotta
- 50g grated cheddar
- 1tbsp chervil, finely chopped (or dill and parsley mixed)
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- good pinch sea salt and black pepper
- 1tbsp parmesan, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Tip the ricotta into a sieve to drain while you shave the kernels from the corn with a large knife.
- Reserve about 100g of the corn kernels and blend the rest in a food processor with the milk, for 2 minutes, to get a smooth batter.
- Beat the eggs and mix with the herbs, reserved corn kernels, corn milk batter, ricotta, grated cheddar and seasoning.
- Butter a litre pudding basin and scatter over the breadcrumbs to cover, tipping the bowl so they coat the sides well (keep 1tbsp of breadcrumbs for the top). Pour in the batter, and top with parmesan and the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Stand the bowl in a roasting dish filled with kettle-hot water and bake for roughly an hour then check by pressing the top lightly to see if it’s firm; if it’s not set cook a little longer.
13 issues for £30 when you subscribe
Subscribe to Gardens Illustrated magazine and receive your first 13 issues for £30!
Transform your Garden- Special Edition
Transform Your Garden
This special edition features advice on designing your garden from the world’s top garden designers, including top tips for redesigning your plot or creating a new garden from scratch.
Discover eight inspirational gardens in town and country, and beautiful planting ideas for year-round colour. Learn how to make the most of a small space, how to cope with a slope, and the ten most common mistakes people make, according to professional garden designers, and how to avoid them.
Enjoy insights on everything from paths and parking spaces to wildflowers and water features, so that you can be confident in starting to create the garden of your dreams.
Just £9.99 inc UK p&p
Gardens of the Globe
From botanical wonders in Australia to tranquil havens closer to home in Ireland, let this guide help you to discover some of the most glorious gardens around the world