Golden beetroot soup recipe
Nutritious and full of flavour; nothing beats a bowl of golden beetroot soup on a cold winter's day. Here's the perfect recipe for how to make it. Recipe from Stephanie Hafferty
A bit unusual but just as good, the golden beetroot is packed with nutrients and full of flavour. If you've grown beetroot in the vegetable garden or in the allotment, you've probably found yourself with a glut of produce, but thankfully the golden beetroot is a versatile variety and can be used in lots of different recipes. It's golden-yellow flesh looks great mixed in with a purple variety for a salad or on its own, roasted and blended into a nutritious autumn soup. The recipe below uses garlic, ginger and paprika to add warmth to the recipe, whilst extra leeks and carrot up the veg content, ideal for reaching your five-a-day goal.
Golden beetroot soup (Serves 4)
- 1kg golden beetroot, peeled and diced into 2cm chunks. Finely chop any leaves
- 3 onions, chopped
- 500g carrots, diced (about 2cm)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 good-sized leek, sliced
- 2tbsp finely chopped root ginger
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Vegetable oil (olive, rapeseed or sunflower)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional – chopped parsley, paprika, lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4
- Place the beetroot and carrots in a roasting tin and drizzle with oil. Roast in the middle of the oven for 20-30 minutes until soft – test with a sharp pointed knife or cake tester.
- Meanwhile, put a tablespoon of oil in a large pan and sauté the onions and leeks. Add the garlic, root ginger and beetroot leaves (if you have them). Put aside when cooked.
- Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven and add, alongside the onion mixture, to a pan of hot stock. Season to taste and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, add lemon juice if desired and whizz with a handheld blender.
- Taste, season and serve with chopped parsley or a sprinkle of paprika.
Summer sale! 3 issues for £5
Try 3 issues of Gardens Illustrated today for just £5. Subscribe today and enjoy beautiful places, top planting ideas and expert advice for your garden. *Offer ends 1st July 2022. This offer is only available to UK residents paying by Direct Debit
Container Gardening Special Edition
The Gardens Illustrated Guide to Container Gardening. In this special edition, discover colourful flower combinations and seasonal planting schemes for pots designed by leading plantspeople, and essential know-how for container gardening success. Just £9.99 inc UK p&p
Gardens of the Globe
Discover some of the most glorious gardens from around the world.Find out more