Vegan courgette and tomato stir fry recipe
An easy outdoor vegan recipe to cook when camping, this courgette ratte uses the best seasonal vegetables the British summer has to offer, courgettes and tomatoes. Recipe by Cleve West
Courgettes are one of the thriftiest vegetable plants you can grow. One plant will produce many courgettes and supply you with a crop all summer. When it comes to cooking, courgettes are fantastic, add them to stir fry, cakes and pasta dishes. This is on of my staples for summer and one I rarely get bored with. Quick to prepare and delicious, especially when the courgettes and tomatoes are fresh, it’s a dish I fall back on when I come home with little time to cook supper – but it could easily be made when camping or at the allotment over an open fire. Yellow courgettes have a sweeter taste than most green varieties and the colour makes for an especially attractive meal.
Courgette ratte (serves 2)
- 4–6 cloves garlic, sliced (more if you’re garlic nuts like me)
- 4 tbsp olive oil (more if you like)
- 4–6 medium-sized courgettes, halved and then sliced lengthways into ½cm-wide strips
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- handful of basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, wok or karahi. Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds (don’t allow it to burn, otherwise it will give the dish a slightly bitter taste). Add courgettes, season with salt and pepper, and fry on a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the courgettes start to brown.
- Lightly crush the cherry tomatoes, add to the courgettes and cook for a further 5 minutes so that any water from the tomatoes is reduced.
- Remove from heat, add torn basil leaves, cover pan and leave for another five minutes before serving. I like to serve it on thick, buttered slices of homemade bread to soak up the delicious oil.
Black Friday offer- Save over 50% when you subscribe
Special subscription offer:
- Save 51%- £34.99 every 13 issues by Direct Debit
- The perfect Christmas gift for friends, family or to keep for yourself!
- Never miss an issue of your favourite magazine
- Free UK delivery- direct to your door *Available to UK residents only