Vegan courgette and tomato stir fry recipe
An easy outdoor vegan recipe to cook when camping, this courgette ratte uses the best seasonal vegetables the British summer has to offer, courgettes and tomatoes. Recipe by Cleve West
Courgettes are one of the thriftiest vegetable plants you can grow. One plant will produce many courgettes and supply you with a crop all summer. When it comes to cooking, courgettes are fantastic, add them to stir fry, cakes and pasta dishes. This is on of my staples for summer and one I rarely get bored with. Quick to prepare and delicious, especially when the courgettes and tomatoes are fresh, it’s a dish I fall back on when I come home with little time to cook supper – but it could easily be made when camping or at the allotment over an open fire. Yellow courgettes have a sweeter taste than most green varieties and the colour makes for an especially attractive meal.
Courgette ratte (serves 2)
- 4–6 cloves garlic, sliced (more if you’re garlic nuts like me)
- 4 tbsp olive oil (more if you like)
- 4–6 medium-sized courgettes, halved and then sliced lengthways into ½cm-wide strips
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- handful of basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, wok or karahi. Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds (don’t allow it to burn, otherwise it will give the dish a slightly bitter taste). Add courgettes, season with salt and pepper, and fry on a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the courgettes start to brown.
- Lightly crush the cherry tomatoes, add to the courgettes and cook for a further 5 minutes so that any water from the tomatoes is reduced.
- Remove from heat, add torn basil leaves, cover pan and leave for another five minutes before serving. I like to serve it on thick, buttered slices of homemade bread to soak up the delicious oil.
13 issues for £30 when you subscribe
Subscribe to Gardens Illustrated magazine and receive your first 13 issues for £30!
Transform your Garden- Special Edition
Transform Your Garden
This special edition features advice on designing your garden from the world’s top garden designers, including top tips for redesigning your plot or creating a new garden from scratch.
Discover eight inspirational gardens in town and country, and beautiful planting ideas for year-round colour. Learn how to make the most of a small space, how to cope with a slope, and the ten most common mistakes people make, according to professional garden designers, and how to avoid them.
Enjoy insights on everything from paths and parking spaces to wildflowers and water features, so that you can be confident in starting to create the garden of your dreams.
Just £9.99 inc UK p&p
Gardens of the Globe
From botanical wonders in Australia to tranquil havens closer to home in Ireland, let this guide help you to discover some of the most glorious gardens around the world